Welcome To My Thoughts!!!!

Hey everyone welcome to On The Chaise Lounge. This is my blog where I will be writing my thoughts on everyday life as I see it. They say the best therapy is writing down your thoughts and getting them out in the world so that is what I am going to do here, and its much cheaper than paying someone to hear my thoughts when I have tons of friends that can chime in and let me know what they think. This is going to be free flowing no real theme, just real random stuff from relationships, to sports, tv shows, the topics are endless. I want to welcome you again and hopefully through you, my followers, so I can get some understanding about the world and hopefully solve my issues.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Generation LOST

   I spent this past weekend down south with my family, spent a few hours with my cousins that are 20, 14 and 11 years old, all I can say is WOW.
 I love these kids to death but they annoy the shit out of me with the way they act in public.  The funny part about being around them was their parents were the two ladies that would jump in your ass if you got out of line when I was growing up.  This experience got me to thinking, what has happened to parenting?  Has there been a change and when did that change take place?

   When I was growing up there were certain rules that kids had to obey.  Respect your elders...REGARDLESS was number 1; I have been respectful to some lowlifes in my life that todays kids would piss on them if the feeling hit them. There was a list of words I couldn't say: shut up, what and I don't know.  I use to hate when my mother would ask me questions because I knew I had to give her a reason, I don't know was not going to cut the mustard.  With my cousins that is the only thing that say, anything you ask them all they give you is I don't know.  That annoys the shit out of me because at their ages they should be able to have a conversation with you and be able to express themselves.  It's not their fault, their parents have allowed to be that way, and its not just my aunt's it's many parents.  Today's parents are more concerned with being their kids friends over their parents and they are forgetting to check this bastards when they get out of line.  I am not talking about that "show" parents put on in Walmart when Timmy asks a fool, I mean they need to check their ass at home and set the tone so Timmy doesn't act a fool when he gets out in public. 

   My cousin are just allowed to do so much stuff  I wouldn't have never thought of doing and if I did think of it I sure as hell wouldn't have had the balls to say it to anybody.  They talk back from time to time, do the hard exhale breathe or randomly yell UGH! when you ask them to do something.  Its just bothers me.  At one point in the weekend I was talking to my cousin about how he was annoying me with his behavior and this little dude said "Steve, YOU GETTING ON MY NERVES".  WHAT...REALLY!!! When did kids get nerves?  I was so shocked nobody said anything to him all I could do was laugh.  If I was his age I would have been picking up so many teeth from the floor.  When I was 14 I was not allowed to have any emotions, I couldn't express my emotional state until I was in college a year.  I wish I would have told anybody they were getting on my nerves, I really don't think I would be here writing this blog right now.  This is another problem parents have, they care about their kids emotions and allow them to be emotional.  I know I have heard numrous parents say "oh she/he is having a bad day", WTF!!  I rememeber one time I told my dad I was stressed out.  My dad looked at me, then started explaining to me how I had nothing to be stressed over, I didn't pay any bills, buy any clothes, bascially he told me I was just freeloading and freeloaders don't have feelings.  At the time I was hurt but now I am older I wish I could go back to them days because he was right I didn't have a care in the world.  Just go to school, play hoop, do a few chores and sit on my ass.  Parents need to go back to that thinking stop worrying about their emotional state, if your child can't handle Facebook, and day to day life in school then you are doing something wrong at home in boosting their self esteem. 

   Where did the ass whopping go? When did that go away?...I got my ass whopped once a week from my mom until I was about 16 then she started that punishment shit which to me was much worst.  Until I was 16 I was afraid of my mom, and sometimes didn't think my mom liked me because Sylvia Joann Miles didn't play.  She whopped ass and figured the details out later.  I am not saying beat your kids all the time but when the time fits you have to let them know who is running shit.  My cousins issue is they don't fear my aunt, she threats them, but if you don't follow through you are just passing out wolf tickets.  I just believe if you don't fear your parents then you are doomed because you will not fear or respect the law or other peoples that could really do you harm.  Then you have social services with their nosey ass stepping in and making hard for parents to be good parents.  A small few of abusive parents has ruined it for everyone, I wish I would have called them on my mom.

    I really believe there is a disconnect today between parents and their kids, and old school values need to be brought back.  The main problem society has is there are a lot of children raising children, with a 40 something grandma that is still trying to get her freak on so she can't pass down these values.     I just think parents need to live by my mom's golden rule, I use to hear this all the time when I stepped out of line "A child needs to stay in a childs place".  My cousin's behavior just saddens me because like Whitney says "The children our the future" and if they don't get it together the future doesn't look bright.

-----Miles     

      

2 comments:

  1. Oh my...I am dying laughing over here.....tears falling from my eyes...this blog was hilarious!!!!!.....but you answered your own question in the 2nd to last paragraph...last sentence...."a few abusive parents ruined it for everyone"......now that kids can call social services and they can essentially threaten the parent, then the parent loses the power....and some parents think if they can't control their kids, then they might as well be their best buddy.....i also think the madness in the world has contributed a lot .....there is too much danger around and parents are just afraid for their kid's safety in general, i think the last thing they want to do is be a parent striking in more fear.....

    ReplyDelete